Welcome‎ > ‎HL Leadership Team‎ > ‎

HLLT Minutes

Highland Lake Leadership Team Meeting Minutes January 17, 2018

posted by Joseph Bickard

Highland Lake Leadership Team Meeting Minutes

 January 17, 2018


Present: Nathan Poore, Rosie Hartzler, John MacKinnon, Nancy Lightbody, Tony Plante, Wendy Garland, Robyn Saunders, Heather True,

 Kim White, Chantal Scott, Kimberly Darling, on the phone—Dennis Brown, Gretchen Anderson, Donna Chapman


Kim White, Vice Chair ran the meeting since Chair, Dennis Brown was participating by telephone.

The main purpose of the January 17 meeting was to hear back from the subcommittees

Subcommittee updates:

Public forum

The group met with Craig Freshely who will facilitate the March 7th Public Forum at the Windham High School 7-9pm. The overall goal is to inform the public and engage them in helping to address the issues facing Highland Lake.  The focus of the event will be on the science and the problem,  what is needed to correct the problem and not on politics or ordinance changes. Presentations will be made by: Wendy Garland(DEP) providing an overview of the lake history etc., Karen Wilson (USM) giving a science update and next steps, Heather True CCSWCD/Gretchen Anderson Stormwater Windham—what you can do as a homeowner/road association to minimize your impact to the watershed.

The group discussed the size of the audience that they would like to see attend the event, and the goal would be to have an audience of about 300.  There was also discussion on how to engage the public in the discussion through questions etc. and what percentage of the time should be spent in dialog rather than presentations.  The group also discussed ways of recording the event and making it so it could be live streamed.

Testing protocols for 2018 will be presented by Karen Wilson during the science segment of the agenda.

The group discussed briefing both Town Councils with an update on the work the Leadership Team is doing. What is it that we are presenting in an interim update report? Windham’s Council presentation will be on the January 30th, and Falmouth’s will be on February ?12th, both meetings are at 7:00pm.

It was mentioned that the HLA would be proposing some retroactive ordinance changes to the Windham Town Council at the January 23 meeting.

Watershed survey Subcommittee

The Watershed Survey Committee discussed its Task and Volunteer List that the Committee has put together in order to organize and assign each of the steps involved in the Watershed Survey.  The Survey date is scheduled for May 19th , 2018.  A subsequent discussion was held on the difficulty that the Committee members were having in finalizing the contract and scope of work (SOW) with CCSWCD.  CCSWCD had proposed almost $4,500 of costs more than the committee deemed necessary.    CCSWCD had asked that the decision be discussed with the HLLT where Donna Chapman suggested a separate meeting be held for this purpose.   In that separate conference call the Town managers and Chairs of Watershed Committee will look to resolve the contract issues with CCSWCD.  That conference call was scheduled to be held on Friday the 19th at 2pm. The Watershed Committee will schedule its next meeting once the CCSWCD SOW is finalized. 

Education and Outreach Subcommittee

     Mission statement

                        The purpose of the Education and Outreach Subcommittee is to coordinate communications with the general public regarding water quality issues and to build an informed and actively engaged community.

This group is charged with coordinating the public communication with each of the other subcommittees and needs to work closely with the other subcommittees to aid in that effort.

Upcoming events that the E&O Subcommittee will provide support for include:

§  Workshop with Windham Town Council: January 30 and Falmouth Town Council Feb. 12

§  Public Forum on March 7

                        The group discussed how the forum relates to the charge of this subcommittee. It should probably be considered a subcommittee of this subcommittee

§  Watershed Survey May 19

§  Highland Lake Association annual meeting in July

§  Road Association meeting(s)


Ordinance Subcommittee

The Ordinance Subcommittee quickly reached consensus on the Charge of the Subcommittee:     to review existing zoning and ordinance in the two towns for effectiveness in protecting the lake, modify as appropriate and research lake protections utilized by other towns for consideration in Falmouth and Windham.


Damon Yakovleff of CCSWCD provided a draft table of zoning and surface water ordinance from the two Towns as well as a series of maps with overlays that will help identify different zones and protections within the watershed.  Both efforts will be very helpful as the subcommittee gets into the details of its charge.

An overview of the two Towns’ surface water management point systems was provided and the features were compared and contrasted.

CCSWCD will flesh out the table mentioned above in preparation for the February 28 subcommittee meeting.

As the meeting was wrapping up a motion to move the Science and Water Quality Stakeholders Group from a direct subset of the HLLT to an independent group who shares their findings with the HLLT.  The motion was seconded, discussed and voted to move the group out from under the HLLT.

The next meeting is scheduled for February 28 at 1:00 PM.

Highland Lake Leadership Team Meeting Minutes December 18, 2017

posted by Joseph Bickard

Highland Lake Leadership Meeting Minutes

December 18, 2017




Attendance List and Emails:

Kimberly Darling, Falmouth


Rosie Hartzler, HLA


Tom Peterson, Windham


Tony Plante, Windham


Dennis Brown, HLA


Jeff Dennis—Maine DEP


Chantal Scott –HLA


Gretchen Anderson--Windham


Nancy Lightbody, Falmouth


John Mackinnon, HLA


Kim White, HLA


Heather True, CCSWCD


Robyn Saunders, CCSWCD


Nathan Poore, Falmouth



Absent:  Donna Chapman                                                                                       Donnachapman@windhammaine.us



Agenda items:


·       Welcome and introduction of new members

·       Review and accept past meeting minutes

Minutes from prior meetings are being considered “notes”. Going forward minutes will be taken and shared with the chair of the Leadership Team for review and sent out to the larger group prior to the next meeting.

·       Elect a Chairperson and Vice Chair

Dennis Brown was nominated and elected Chairperson of the Highland Lake Leadership Team.

Kim White was nominated and elected Vice Chair and Chantal Scott will assist the Vice Chair as needed

·       Subcommittees, members and assigned town staff liaisons:

1. Ordinance Review—Jeff Dennis(DEP), Kim White, Chantal Scott, John Mackinnon, Dennis Brown, Kimberly Darling, Tony Plante

o   CHAIR: John Mackinnon

Assigned town staff liaisons: Falmouth and Windham Planning Departments 

2. Education and Outreach (formally “roads/residents”)—Nancy Lightbody, Rosie Hartzler, Chantal Scott, Nathan Poore, Tony Plante, Dennis Brown, Kimberly Darling, Wendy Garland and Tom Peterson

o   CHAIR: Nancy Lightbody

Assigned town staff liaisons: Gretchen Anderson, Windham and Kimberly Darling, Falmouth

ü  Public Forum Members—Gretchen Anderson, Kimberly Darling, Rosie Hartzler, Chantal Scott, Nancy Lightbody and Wendy Garland

ü  CHAIR:  Rosie Hartzler

o   *The public forum group is a subset of the Education and Outreach Committee.

3.Watershed Survey  (managed by HLA)— Rosie Hartzler, Chantal Scott, Kim White, John MacKinnon, Pete Simonson, Donna Pennoyer, Keith Williams, Heather True (project manager),

CO-CHAIRS: Rosie Hartzler and Kim White

Assigned town staff liaisons: Gretchen Anderson, Windham and Kimberly Darling, Falmouth

ACTION ITEM: Each of the three subcommittees shall hold a meeting in the first half of January to establish a charge, identify scope of work with a timeline to accomplish the scope.  This should be presented to the HLLT at the next scheduled meeting of January 17.  It was suggested that CCSWCD would not be needed at the initial subcommittee meetings since those meetings would be essentially administrative, and the real value that CCSWCD brings would be most appreciated as the committees dig into their respective details.

The Watershed Survey/Action/Management Plan

May 19th will be actual survey date.  HLA will get together with CCSWCD to continue to work out specific roles and responsibilities.


Science and Water Quality Members

Keith Williams—HLA, Dr. Karen Wilson—USM, Jeff Dennis—Maine DEP, Gretchen Anderson—Town of Windham, Linda Bacon-Maine DEP, Don Kretchmer, Rosie Hartzler—HLA, Kimberly Darling—Town of Falmouth, Heather True—CCSWCD, Tom Peterson—Windham,  Jeff Dennis also suggested two additional Maine DEP members, Aria Amerbahman and Steve Norton

NOTE:  This committee is an HLA subcommittee and it should be discussed how and if it should be integrated into the HLLT at the meeting on Jan. 17.




·       Town managers refreshed the group on the freedom of access laws and meeting policy.


·       The HLLT finalized and accepted the CCSWCD scope of work.  A cover letter will be drafted by the Towns to confirm the contract scope as approved.


·       The HLA is changing it’s website to include a wide range of information on the Lake as well as a central repository of the work of the HLLT.  The intention is to provide links to/from the Town websites as well as that of CCSWCD.



·       Dates for the next two meetings and locations

January 17 Wednesday— 2:30pm Falmouth Town Hall next HLLT meeting.

February 28 Wednesday—1:00pm Falmouth Town Hall next HLLT meeting                 


·       December 1st Science Roundtable Update

Jeff Dennis with Maine DEP provided a brief overview of science roundtable discussion that was held on December 1st

·       Public Forum Subcommittee Update

Gretchen Anderson provided a summation of the work to date as well as the proposed March 7 date for the forum to be held at the Windham High School Auditorium, with a March 20 as a backup snow date.

The call-in number for the Town of Falmouth Conference line is (207) 699-5399. 

1-2 of 2