Welcome‎ > ‎HL Leadership Team‎ > ‎HLLT Minutes‎ > ‎

Highland Lake Leadership Team Meeting Minutes January 17, 2018

posted Mar 16, 2018, 2:28 PM by Joseph Bickard

Highland Lake Leadership Team Meeting Minutes

 January 17, 2018

 

Present: Nathan Poore, Rosie Hartzler, John MacKinnon, Nancy Lightbody, Tony Plante, Wendy Garland, Robyn Saunders, Heather True,

 Kim White, Chantal Scott, Kimberly Darling, on the phone—Dennis Brown, Gretchen Anderson, Donna Chapman

 

Kim White, Vice Chair ran the meeting since Chair, Dennis Brown was participating by telephone.

The main purpose of the January 17 meeting was to hear back from the subcommittees

Subcommittee updates:

Public forum

The group met with Craig Freshely who will facilitate the March 7th Public Forum at the Windham High School 7-9pm. The overall goal is to inform the public and engage them in helping to address the issues facing Highland Lake.  The focus of the event will be on the science and the problem,  what is needed to correct the problem and not on politics or ordinance changes. Presentations will be made by: Wendy Garland(DEP) providing an overview of the lake history etc., Karen Wilson (USM) giving a science update and next steps, Heather True CCSWCD/Gretchen Anderson Stormwater Windham—what you can do as a homeowner/road association to minimize your impact to the watershed.

The group discussed the size of the audience that they would like to see attend the event, and the goal would be to have an audience of about 300.  There was also discussion on how to engage the public in the discussion through questions etc. and what percentage of the time should be spent in dialog rather than presentations.  The group also discussed ways of recording the event and making it so it could be live streamed.

Testing protocols for 2018 will be presented by Karen Wilson during the science segment of the agenda.

The group discussed briefing both Town Councils with an update on the work the Leadership Team is doing. What is it that we are presenting in an interim update report? Windham’s Council presentation will be on the January 30th, and Falmouth’s will be on February ?12th, both meetings are at 7:00pm.

It was mentioned that the HLA would be proposing some retroactive ordinance changes to the Windham Town Council at the January 23 meeting.

Watershed survey Subcommittee

The Watershed Survey Committee discussed its Task and Volunteer List that the Committee has put together in order to organize and assign each of the steps involved in the Watershed Survey.  The Survey date is scheduled for May 19th , 2018.  A subsequent discussion was held on the difficulty that the Committee members were having in finalizing the contract and scope of work (SOW) with CCSWCD.  CCSWCD had proposed almost $4,500 of costs more than the committee deemed necessary.    CCSWCD had asked that the decision be discussed with the HLLT where Donna Chapman suggested a separate meeting be held for this purpose.   In that separate conference call the Town managers and Chairs of Watershed Committee will look to resolve the contract issues with CCSWCD.  That conference call was scheduled to be held on Friday the 19th at 2pm. The Watershed Committee will schedule its next meeting once the CCSWCD SOW is finalized. 

Education and Outreach Subcommittee

     Mission statement

                        The purpose of the Education and Outreach Subcommittee is to coordinate communications with the general public regarding water quality issues and to build an informed and actively engaged community.

This group is charged with coordinating the public communication with each of the other subcommittees and needs to work closely with the other subcommittees to aid in that effort.

Upcoming events that the E&O Subcommittee will provide support for include:

§  Workshop with Windham Town Council: January 30 and Falmouth Town Council Feb. 12

§  Public Forum on March 7

                        The group discussed how the forum relates to the charge of this subcommittee. It should probably be considered a subcommittee of this subcommittee

§  Watershed Survey May 19

§  Highland Lake Association annual meeting in July

§  Road Association meeting(s)

 

Ordinance Subcommittee

The Ordinance Subcommittee quickly reached consensus on the Charge of the Subcommittee:     to review existing zoning and ordinance in the two towns for effectiveness in protecting the lake, modify as appropriate and research lake protections utilized by other towns for consideration in Falmouth and Windham.

 

Damon Yakovleff of CCSWCD provided a draft table of zoning and surface water ordinance from the two Towns as well as a series of maps with overlays that will help identify different zones and protections within the watershed.  Both efforts will be very helpful as the subcommittee gets into the details of its charge.

An overview of the two Towns’ surface water management point systems was provided and the features were compared and contrasted.

CCSWCD will flesh out the table mentioned above in preparation for the February 28 subcommittee meeting.

As the meeting was wrapping up a motion to move the Science and Water Quality Stakeholders Group from a direct subset of the HLLT to an independent group who shares their findings with the HLLT.  The motion was seconded, discussed and voted to move the group out from under the HLLT.

The next meeting is scheduled for February 28 at 1:00 PM.
Comments