Outreach and Education Minutes

Highland Lake Leadership Team: Education and Outreach Committee Minutes of April 27, 2018, 10:00 a.m. – 11:30 a.m. Falmouth Town Hall

posted May 18, 2018, 11:49 AM by Joseph Bickard

Highland Lake Leadership Team: Education and Outreach Committee

Minutes of April 27, 2018, 10:00 a.m. – 11:30 a.m. Falmouth Town Hall

 

Members present: Dennis Brown, Gretchen Anderson, Chantal Scott, John Maclaine, and Nancy Lightbody

 

·      The minutes for April 5, 2018, were unanimously accepted as written.

 

·      Updates on phone calls with road association leaders

      Many phone calls have been done, but there are still more to do. So far, Rosie, Tom, and Chantal have called quite a few. Dennis: “There’s nothing like a deadline to get things accomplished!”

 

·      Development of a presentation for road association meetings

      Gretchen has developed a Private Road PowerPoint presentation but decided that it would be better to wait to send it to all committee members until after the minutes had been circulated. John offered to add to it.

 

·      Update on program with Windham Middle School on April 24

      Rosie Hartzler reported by e-mail that the program was well worth our time and energy. Gretchen Anderson, Alana Doughty from LEA, and Rosie interacted with about 90 eighth graders at the Windham Middle School, focusing around the general topic of “water crimes.” Gretchen spoke about issues related to stormwater, Alana talked about bugs and how studying the bugs can be an indicator of water quality, and Rosie discussed information about Highland Lake, watersheds, and the issue of phosphorus in our lakes in Maine. John agreed that we should continue such programs and that having education included in our programs helps with grant writing. Maybe such a program could be extended to Falmouth Middle School, which we might be able to connect with Rosie and the Windham Middle School teacher.

 

·      Update on buffer projects in collaboration with the LakeSmart Program through the Maine Lakes Society

      Chantal reported that the HLA is on board to continue with LakeSmart. So far, three people have signed up to go to the 6-hour LakeSmart training program. Other volunteers may ask Chantal if they are interested in being trained. It was suggested that a goal would be to do one buffer project a week in the summer: maybe during a three-hour block from 10:00 a.m. to 1:00 p.m. and from 3:00 p.m. to 6:00 p.m. In addition, there could be one from 9:00 a.m. to 12:00 noon on Saturdays. We will develop an appropriate point system with showy signage to give credit to the hard work of homeowners who are progressing through the different stages.

 

·      Lake Policy Roundtable

      Dennis shared information from a very educational “Maine Lake Protection and Research Collaborative Policy Roundtable” that he had attended two days earlier at Maine Audubon. He learned a great deal that pertained directly to Highland Lake and what we are trying to accomplish.

 

 

·      Roads and gravel

John and Gretchen will come up with a list of important facts for people to know when they are spreading gravel. Some stone (i.e., crushed blue stone) is more expensive in the beginning but will save homeowners in the long run.

 

 

·      Upcoming events

§  May 19: Watershed Survey

§  Various dates: Road Association meetings

§  July 19: Highland Lake Association annual meeting

 

·      Upcoming HLLT meetings

§  May 10: Full HLLT meeting from 10:00 a.m. to 12:00 noon in ??

§  May 15: E&O Committee meeting from 1:00 p.m. to 3:00 p.m. in Falmouth

June 19: Full HLLT meeting from 1:00 p.m. to 3:00 p.m. in ??

Highland Lake Leadership Team: Education and Outreach Committee Minutes of April 5, 2018, 1:00 p.m. - 2:20 p.m. Falmouth Town Hall

posted Apr 30, 2018, 2:42 PM by Joseph Bickard

Highland Lake Leadership Team: Education and Outreach Committee

Minutes of April 5, 2018, 1:00 p.m. - 2:20 p.m. Falmouth Town Hall

 

Members present: Gretchen Anderson, Chantal Scott, Rosie Hartzler, Dennis Brown, Donna Chapman, Nancy Lightbody, and Tom Peterson (by phone)

 

·      The minutes for March 22, 2018, were unanimously accepted as written.

 

·      Development of list of information for contact with road association leaders (on our timeline for April)

 

Topics to include in a phone call:

§  Current contact information: name, phone number(s), e-mail address, snail-mail address

§  Date of their first association meeting

§  Type of road association (i.e., private vs. public easement) and insurance consequences

§  All the roads included in the association

§  Are they aware of what’s been going on recently with Highland Lake and how it will help their road association? (Remember that we are there to help, not regulate.)

 

·      Development of a presentation for road association meetings (on our timeline for May/June and on)

 

Possible topics to include:

§  Script with the impact of roads on the Lake

§  If they fill out the question sheet, they are eligible for a free evaluation from the DEP

§  Watershed Survey details

§  Tool for them to use to evaluate their road(s)

§  Incentive for them to use the correct material at a discounted price: “There is a grant: Details to follow!”

 

·      Buffer projects

            These could be done in collaboration with Maine Lakes Society, which offers trainings and shiny lawn signs.

 

·      Falmouth High School “Sail” (Student Adventures in Learning) Projects:

Chantal described how a teacher (David Halligan) had offered to enlist some of his students to help with buffer projects.

·      Separate HLLT website:

      Kimberly and Gretchen are working on a website that is separate from the two towns but will link to the websites of Falmouth, Windham, Highland Lake Association, and CCSWCD.

·      Upcoming events

§  April 24: Project-based learning initiative with eighth graders at Windham Middle School (Several committee members gave suggestions to Rosie about possible speakers to contact.)

§  May 19: Watershed Survey

§  Various dates: Road Association meetings

§  July 19: Highland Lake Association annual meeting

 

·      Upcoming HLLT meetings

§  April 12: Next full HLLT meeting from 10:00 a.m. to 12:00 noon in Windham

§  April 27: Next EOC meeting from 10:00 a.m. to 11:30 a.m. in Falmouth

 

ACTION ITEMS

§  Gretchen will work on a presentation package for phone calls with road associations.

 

§  Dennis and Gretchen will consolidate the various lists of road associations and contact information (and maybe maps with the help of Elise) and then assign specific names for EOC members to contact.

 

§  Members of EOC: Our phone calls to road associations must be completed no later than April 19.

Highland Lake Education and Outreach Committee Minutes of March 22, 2018

posted Apr 7, 2018, 11:19 AM by Joseph Bickard   [ updated Apr 7, 2018, 3:51 PM ]

Highland Lake Education and Outreach Committee

Minutes of March 22, 2018, 1:00 p.m. - 2:30 p.m. Falmouth Town Hall

 

Members present: Heather True, John Maclaine, Kimberly Darling, Gretchen Anderson, Rosie Hartzler, Donna Chapman, Chantal Scott, Nancy Lightbody, and Dennis Brown (by phone)

 

·      The minutes for February 14, 2018, were unanimously accepted as written.

 

·      Feedback from the Public Forum on March 21, 2018

o  Great questions from the audience

o  Good crowd attendance, especially since it had been postponed: just under 100

o  3 town council members were present

o  The Facebook filming was difficult to hear

o  Kudos to Craig on his facilitation skills and how he kept the people on track

o  Possibility of a second forum to be organized later in the year

 

·      Development of timeline for the next six months

The discussion focused on setting up educational opportunities with road associations.

 

April: Meetings with road associations

      Dennis to reach out to the leaders, ask for their concerns, and with our help develop a 15-minute presentation

May through September: Technical assistance

      John to conduct private road workshops and extend technical assistance with specific issues that the road associations have written down

Late May/June: Focus on residential topics in meetings with road associations

      Chantal to get a group together to formulate an action plan

July/August: Second round of meetings with road associations

September/October: Educational workshops with trainings on different topics

o  How to form a road association

o  Legal issues (i.e., going over the regulations about what the town can and cannot do in regards to private roads)

o  Q and A: What issues do the road associations have?

 

            Potential topics for road association meetings

o  Engaging people in the project of upgrading the road

o  Finding ways for improving how road associations interact

o  Introducing the need for road associations to have insurance

o  Importance of road associations becoming statutory road associations

o  Establishing a point of contact for each road association

 

            Questions that came up

o   Can the town mandate that a road association be required to meet certain standards because of the lake issues? 

o   What about the possibility of the town(s) helping with road upgrade?

o   Can the DEP step in when the property is infringing on lake health?

 

            Possible resources for road association meetings

o   CCSWCD has held road association workshops to educate and give legal advice

o   Maine Alliance for Road Associations

o   Lakes Environmental Association

 

·      Other topics discussed

o   Youth Conservation Corps: Chantal talked about a possible resurgence of a YCC-type organization for a projected focus on buffer projects after the Watershed Survey.

 

o   Limnology class: The possibility of a community limnology class with Karen Wilson was also mentioned, but this will be discussed later.  

 

 

  • Upcoming events

§  Watershed Survey: May 19

§  Highland Lake Association annual meeting: July 19

 

·      Upcoming HLLT meetings

§  April 5 from 1:00 p.m.-2:30 p.m. in Falmouth: Next EOS meeting

§  April 12 from 10:00 a.m.-12:00 noon in Windham Town Hall: Full HLLT meeting

Highland Lake Education and Outreach Committee Minutes of February 14, 2018

posted Apr 7, 2018, 11:17 AM by Joseph Bickard   [ updated Apr 7, 2018, 11:18 AM ]

Highland Lake Education and Outreach Committee

Minutes of February 14, 2018, 1:30 p.m. - 3:30 p.m. Falmouth Town Hall

 

Members present: Gretchen Anderson, Kimberly Darling, Rosie Hartzler, John Maclaine, Chantal Scott, Nancy Lightbody, Dennis Brown (by phone), Heather True (by phone)

 

·      The minutes for January 24, 2018, were unanimously accepted.

 

·      Support from CCSWCD (Heather by telephone)

§  Assist with landowner and private road technical assistance

The group discussed what this entailed: the definition and maximization of “technical assistance,” the availability and timeframe of budget money, the amount of scientific detail, and the prioritization of various sites. John offered to conduct private road workshops and extend technical assistance with specific issues when he could. It was not decided whether to move forward with assistance to the road associations before or after the Watershed Survey on May 19. The discussion will continue at a future EOS meeting.

 

§  Work with HLLT to conduct outreach to forestry and agriculture landowners

The group discussed various farms in the watershed. Lists of forestry and agriculture landowners will be given to Heather within a week.

 

§  Look into developing watershed signage

This task was put on hold for now.

 

·      Road Association Meetings

       Dennis will work with HLA to get contact information for the different road associations.

 

·      Public Forum on March 7 at Windham High School

            The group discussed various details: publicity is going well; Gretchen shared her outstanding poster; 1400 postcards have been mailed out; social media blasts are in the works; materials to be displayed on the three tables were reviewed; Chantal will provide information about volunteer opportunities; Rosie offered to give the press release to Channels 6, 8, and 13 and MPBN.

 

·      Timeline: for three months; for six months; for one year; longer?

This item was tabled.

 

·      Other

§  Update on meeting with Windham Middle School teachers

        Rosie met with four teachers who are interested in Project-Based Learning and a focus on “water crimes.” Students will be divided into groups on either April 23 or April 24. Groups of two students each may be able to help with the Watershed Survey. Heather will mention this to her colleagues. John, Heather, and Chantal spoke of other projects that involved students.

 

§  Rosie’s grant proposal has been broached with the Windham Town Council.

 

  • Upcoming events

§  “Speak Out” with Senator Bill Diamond and Rosie: February 22 at 6:45 p.m.

§  Public Forum: March 7

§  Watershed Survey: May 19

§  Highland Lake Association annual meeting: July 19

§  Road Association meeting(s)

 

·      Upcoming HLLT meetings

§  Next full HLLT meeting: February 28 at 1:00 p.m. in Falmouth

 

§  Next EOS meeting: March 22, 1:30-3:30 p.m. in Falmouth

 

 

ACTION ITEM: Members will orchestrate a highly successful Public Forum on March 7!

Highland Lake Education and Outreach Subcommittee Minutes of January 24, 2018, 1:00 p.m. Falmouth Town Hall

posted Feb 21, 2018, 7:08 AM by Joseph Bickard

Highland Lake Education and Outreach Subcommittee

Minutes of January 24, 2018, 1:00 p.m. Falmouth Town Hall

 

Members present: John Maclaine, Rosie Hartzler, Kimberly Darling, Donna Chapman, Nancy Lightbody, Dennis Brown (by phone), Gretchen Anderson (by phone)

 

·       Revised mission statement:

            The purpose of the Education and Outreach Subcommittee is to coordinate communications with the general public regarding water quality issues and to build an informed and actively engaged community.

            With these changes, the group unanimously voted to approve the January 3rd minutes.

·       Brainstorming of different avenues/vehicles of communication (social media, print, town websites, etc.) Focus shifted to the Public Forum:

  • The group discussed the agenda/program for the public forum. Discussed the question-and-answer session. The group discussed information tables at the event and how those will work.
  • Discussed welcome table and how that will work: Will ask folks where they are coming from, how they heard about the event, etc.
  • Discussed other avenues of marketing. Discussed following up on Highland Lake article with the Portland Press Herald and inviting reporters to the event along with public service announcements.

·       Support from CCSWCD: How/where should they begin?

This item was tabled.

·       Building of timeline: for three months; for six months; for one year; longer?

Tabled discussing this overall timeline but discussed timeline for the forum.

·       Road Association meetings:

Briefly discussed John Maclaine’s involvement with the DEP and his role with road associations.

Kimberly and Rosie are the points of contact for the Public Forum. Rosie will talk to the presenters and Craig Freshley and will cc Kimberly on those communications.

·       Upcoming events

§  Workshop with Windham Town Council: January 30

§  Workshop with Falmouth Town Council: February 12

§  Public Forum: March 7

§  Watershed Survey: May 19

§  Highland Lake Association Annual Meeting

 

·       Upcoming meetings

§  Next EOS meeting: February 14 from 1:30 to 3:30 p.m. in Falmouth

§  Next full HLLT meeting: February 28 at 1:00 p.m. in Falmouth

 

ACTION ITEM: Members will follow up on a variety of marketing ideas that were mentioned.

Education and Outreach Subcommittee Minutes - Jan 3, 2018

posted Jan 26, 2018, 5:59 AM by Joseph Bickard

Highland Lake Leadership Team: Education and Outreach Subcommittee

Minutes of January 3, 2018 (Approved 1-24-2018)

 

Members present: John Maclaine, Tony Plante, Rosie Hartzler, Gretchen Anderson, Kimberly Darling, Chantal Scott, Nancy Lightbody, Dennis Brown (by phone)

 

  • Welcome members and decide on minute-takers

            Kimberly agreed to take minutes for this subcommittee and share with Nancy, who will distribute to the rest of the group.

 

  • Identify the key issues to be addressed

§   Direct impact of property owners and others on the lake and water quality

§   Science of what’s happening with the picocyanobacteria build-up

 

  • Develop our mission

            Members brainstormed a number of committee charge ideas. Bringing the key issues together and getting that information out to the public are very important. So is building an informed community that is actively engaged. This involves

§  Information-gathering and sharing

§  Planning, scheduling, and promoting events

§  Identifying and implementing the best methods of communication

 

                 Mission statement

                        The purpose of the Education and Outreach Subcommittee is to coordinate communications with the general public regarding water quality issues and to build an informed and actively engaged community.

 

  • Upcoming events

§  Workshop with Windham Town Council: January 30

§  Public Forum on March 7

                        The group discussed how the forum relates to the charge of this subcommittee. It should probably be considered a subcommittee of this subcommittee

§  Watershed Survey

§  Highland Lake Association annual meeting

§  Road Association meeting(s)

 

·      Upcoming meetings

§  January 17 at 1:30 p.m. in Falmouth: planning for Public Forum with Craig Freshley

§  January 17 at 2:30 p.m. in Falmouth: Next full HLLT meeting

§  January 24 from 1:00 to 2:00 p.m. in Falmouth: Next EOS meeting

 

ACTION ITEM: The group will brainstorm different avenues/vehicles of communication (social media, print, town websites, etc.) and discuss these at the next EOS meeting.

1-6 of 6